Wednesday, September 14, 2011

silver Flash #32


It's time to Flash.   This week's prompts:

"Well, I don't know about you, but I like to know what I'm getting into."

OR

Use the following elements in your story: key, paper, raw meat

the links to my fellow flashers appear at the end of my story 

Misunderstandings 

“Oh come on, I can’t believe this!”  Ben stood in front of the real estate office, his hands searching through his pockets for the key that would let him inside.  But to no avail, he was the first one to arrive that morning and, as was custom, the first one there was not only supposed to open up but get the coffee ready for the rest of the office to fuel up on.   Ben could kick himself for keeping the office key on a separate keychain.

‘It’s all Tom’s fault.’ He thought, he just ‘had’ to join him in the shower this morning, that man could make him lose all track of time. Ben couldn’t stay mad at the man who he loved to bits and who rocked his world earlier.

The ring tone on his phone interrupted his thoughts. 

“Hello?”

“Ben, it’s Natalie,” The voice on the other end made Ben roll his eyes, she was a pain in the ass at the best of times, but she was one of their best agents so getting rid of her just wasn’t going to happen.  “Listen, could you be a dear and read me the price list on the house in Millersville?  I completely forgot the paper on my desk last night.”

“I’d love to oblige you, Nat, but I’m currently standing in front of the office.”

“Outside? Why?”

“I left my keys at home.”

“Oh for crying out loud!”

“Relax and take a chill pill, Nat.  I’m going to run home and get it and I’ll call you back once I get inside the office.”

A few minutes later he found himself parking in the driveway and getting out of the car and walking up the familiar path to the front door.

Tom’s car was gone; Ben knew he had the day off so he was probably out running errands.   He said he had a surprise for him when he got home so knowing Tom it could be anything.

He strolled into the kitchen and spotted the key where he had left it.  “Damn Tom,” he said to the empty room, “Why did you leave the raw meat out on the counter?”  He shook his head, he’d told Tom to put it in the fridge to thaw.   So he moved the meat to the fridge and picked up his key, just as he was about to leave the house the phone rang.   He noticed it was their voice mail,  they had it set up so that if there was a message and they didn’t pick it up the service would call to let you know there was a message waiting to be heard.

Ben picked up the call  “This is the voice messenger system, you have one unheard message.  To hear your unheard message please press seven on your keypad.”   Ben did as the automated woman’s voice asked. 

“First unheard message: ‘BEEP’   Uh hi Tom, this is Larry.  I got your message, I can come over in about an hour.  You’re sure your partner is going to be at work?  See you in a bit.”

“To delete this message press….” The automated voice came back on, but by that time Ben was too numb to hear her.  He just hung up the phone and leaned back against the wall.  “Who the hell is Larry and why is Tom having him come over here while I am at work?”  He said to empty house.   He knew he really should get back to work but how could he now that there was a possibility that Tom might be cheating on him.  

“No it just can’t be!”   Ben decided to move his car around the block and wait for Tom to get back home.

TBC

 m/m









m/f


2 comments:

  1. Now I want to know what's going on. I have a feeling Ben is about to make a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I bet he's jumping to conclusions.

    ReplyDelete