Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flash 29: wee hour madness







Prompt 29 – It’s that time of the week again people.   Flash time!   This week’s prompts are:    “I can’t believe I didn’t know that about you.”     “Anyone ever tell you you’re a Grade A______?”      and “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Links to my fellow flashers appear at the end of my story.  

Wee Hour Madness-by Lily Sawyer

It was three AM; at least that’s what Tom thought the clock read, he was all bleary-eyed from a hard week at the firehouse.  He was looking forward to the next three days off.

Where was his partner, the bed space next to him was cold.   He couldn’t sleep unless Ben was snuggled up against him.    It wasn’t like Ben to get up in the middle of the night like this unless something was wrong.

“Ben?”  His voice came out as barely a whisper his sleep-dry throat needed some lubrication.  He wandered out of bed and downstairs towards the kitchen, figuring he’d search for his wayward lover on the way.  

He discovered a light on in the den and followed the beacon; he pulled himself up short when he heard a voice.  ‘Did Ben have a visitor?’

“You’d do that for me, really? I like that.”

Tom stood in the doorway of the den, Ben’s back was turned and he was on the phone.   It wasn’t only what he said but the sultry way he said it that got Tom’s hackles up.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”  Tom’s flexed his fists; he fought the urge to rip the phone out of Ben’s hands.

“Tom, I uh.”  Ben stammered

“I’ll call you back,” Ben quickly clicked the phone shut.  “Sweetheart, what are you doing up?”

Ben wrapped his arms around Tom’s shoulders, but the bigger man pushed him away.

“Don’t sweetheart me, who were you on the phone with?”

“It’s no one,”

“At three in the morning?  I want to know who you were talking to.”

“Okay it was Tony.”

“Tony? Who’s the hell is Tony?”   Tom was seeing red, he was ready to go find Tony and rip his head off.

“He’s a tattoo artist, okay? I’m thinking of getting a tattoo.”

“Why are you calling him at three AM?”

“I couldn’t sleep, this guy is open all night so I gave him a call to find out more about getting inked.”

“How come this is the first time I’m hearing about this?” Tom felt like a weight had settled on his shoulders.  He plopped down on the couch and waited for Ben to finish his story.

“Sweetie, I’m sorry I didn’t mention this before, I haven’t even made up my mind yet if I’m going to get one. Ever since I was a teenager I’d thought about getting one, but I knew my parents would kill me.  I just put the idea on the back burner.”

“What made you think about it again?” Tom asked.

“I saw all the other fire fighters showing off their tattoos at the BBQ and it lit a fire under me again, so to speak.”

Tom leaned his head back against the couch and sighed.  “All this trouble cause of a damn tattoo.” He shook his head.

“I’m sorry, Tom,” Ben leaned forward, his head resting in his hands.

“Do you know what it looked like, seeing you talking on the phone at this hour?”

“Yeah, I can see how your imagination went wild.”

Tom wrapped his arm around Ben’s shoulders and pulled Ben against him and hugged him.

“Let’s both get a tattoo.”

“What?”  Ben gave him an incredulous look.

“Yeah, what were you thinking of getting?”

“You’re going to think it’s silly.”

“No I won’t.  What did you have in mind, honey?” Tom started to tickle Ben, knowing he was putty in his hand when he did.

“Stop, stop,” Ben was laughing so hard tears were running down his face.  “Oh, it was two hearts entwined with our initials inside the hearts, like two hearts beating as one.  Maybe put it on the left side of our chests. What do you think?”     

“Perfect, let’s do it this afternoon.  In the meantime, back to bed…now!”

Ben loved it when Tom got all bossy.  “Yes sir!”

TBC

 My fellow flashers 


m/m
Julie Hayes

West Thornhill

Pia Velano

Pender Mackie

Ryssa Edwards

Freddy Mackay

m/f
Heather Lin

Lindsay Klug

Victoria Blisse

2 comments:

  1. Omg was this inspired by an insurance commercial? It just cracks me up, esp when the wife says she sounds hideous and the husband replies, well, Jake's a guy, so yeah. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL BINGO! I wanted to use the phrase from that commercial so I was writing parts of this story while watching TV and that commercial came on so I wrote down the comments and they appear here.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete